Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Snack Ideas for Nursery

I posted last week about Nursery Helps, and I wanted to follow up with this. Nursery is a hard calling. I honestly think that the Lord puts special people in Nursery, and that's how it should be. The children need so much love, attention, and creativity.

Snack time is important for Nursery aged children, not only does it eat up some time (yeah I said it), but it keeps them from getting hungry, aka cranky. But you have to be careful what you feed them. If you stuff them full of sugar and cookies, prepare yourself for another hour of meltdowns, screaming, and chaos. And since I'm sure you are going to have awesome things planned for that hour that do not include any of those things, it's probably better to avoid that whenever possible. So I wanted to post a few ideas on what to bring for snacks, that kids will eat. Every child is different, but maybe this will help you brainstorm.

PLEASE remember to ask parents/guardians about allergies before feeding their child anything!! Write this down in a "Nusery Binder/Folder" so when your not there, whoever is filling in will know.

1. Pretzels. I have met few children that don't like pretzels. Even my son, who has parents that don't really care for them, likes pretzels.

2. Fruits/veggies. Children love fruit. My son would rather have a tomato or strawberry over a cookie. Yes, it's true. Fruit does have sugar in it, but it's not going to get them wound up like frosting on a cupcake would.

3. Graham Crackers with peanut butter. The peanut butter has protein in it that will help keep them full and kids love graham crackers!

4. Yogurt covered raisins. My son would eat these all day if I let him. Seriously, he doesn't like raisins, but when they're yogurt covered, game on.

5. String cheese. Store in the fridge until snack time and have your assistant go grab it.

6. Applesauce. They make them in the pouches they can just slurp up now, no spoon feeding, perfect for nursery! They also have smoothies and other things in those same pouches, so you can mix it up.

7. Roaring waters Capri Sun. I believe it only have 7g of sugar, so it's a good drink option.


So what do you guys love using in Nursery for snack? Any go-to items?

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment