Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

Hey everyone!

Thanks for stopping by! :) Things have been busy around here, little man may not be in school, but it seems like the school year hit us hard anyways. I have been super busy planning our next year of primary and trying to get organized before the holidays hit. Yes, I just mentioned the holidays! September is already half way gone! We have about six weeks until Halloween, and you know how time flies after that. Have you decided what the kids will dress up as? Or what you will for that matter? My little guy keeps changing his mind, anything from Hulk, to Ironman, to Superman, and now to The Little Mermaid. Shhh...don't tell his daddy. ;)

Anyways, I kind of made up a new recipe last night that I wanted to share. Now that it's getting cooler and my house doesn't feel like a sauna when I cook, I felt like making a hot, healthy meal. I've been wanting to try my hand at stuffed peppers again, so I just dove in.

Here is the final product:



What you'll need:

4 Green peppers (or red or yellow, or a variety)
1 yellow onion
2.5 cups brown rice cooked
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, drained (I didn't have any, so I just left it out and it was still good)
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup enchilada sauce
Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning
1.5 cups Medium Cheddar cheese
Olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Get a casserole dish and line the bottom with wax paper.

2. Slice the peppers so you can stuff them. I just sliced off the top, but you could cut them length wise as well. Rinse them out and coat them lightly with olive oil. I just used a spray. Place these on the prepared dish and pop them in the oven for maybe ten minutes or so.

3. Brown the ground beef with the chopped yellow onion. Rinse and place in a large bowl. Combine the black beans, corn, rice, and beef and onion mixture together. Stir well.

4. Add in the enchilada sauce slowly, tasting often. You may find you don't need as much or maybe you'd like more. Sprinkle Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning throughout in the same way you added the enchilada sauce. You want to do this to taste, I probably used between 1-1.5 Tablespoons. But I'm also a wimp, and you may like it more spicy than this.

5. Add about 1/2-3/4 C of cheese. I added this last so it didn't get too melted.



6. Stuff the peppers and top with the remaining cheese. Place them back on the casserole dish and bake another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted on top.

Voila! Now all you have to do is enjoy!

**Note, I made these and ended up with extra mixture. I threw the rest in a zip lock baggie and froze it. If you need more then 4 servings, you will probably be able to get more out of this if you just get more cheese to top it off with.**



I love stuffed peppers because they're so easy, taste good, and are good for you. They're also so versatile. Switch out ground turkey for ground beef, or even shredded chicken would be yummy. Paleo diet? Knock out the rice and corn add different varieties of beans and more onion. You can do so many things with it, and it can be changed to fit practically any diet.

Please don't forget to click the button below and follow me on blog lovin!

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment