Monday, October 8, 2012

Spinach Chips Recipe

Okay, I know, this doesn't sound good. Or at least it didn't to me at first. I hope it sounds good to you. But after reading a bunch of really good reviews, and buying way too much spinach for my quiches a few days ago, I decided to give it a go. I figured, worst case scenario I have to throw it all away, I probably would have done that anyways. I am the worst at using spinach. And to top it off, of course it comes in the buy one get one free deals. So you have to get two. 



Anyways, I found this recipe on Pinterest, and followed it closely. In it she suggests getting creative and using red pepper flakes, among other things. Well, Saturday I went to an Amish Market by us and bought a big tub of it for hardly anything. So I was waaay too excited to use it. My husband thought that and garlic powder sounded okay, so I did half of my cookie sheet just salt and pepper, 25% red pepper flakes, and 25% garlic powder. 

I was really excited to try the red pepper flakes, so as soon as they came out of the oven and cooled off a bit, I popped one of those babies in my mouth. Boy, did I have the wrong idea what that would taste like!! I thought it was like a green pepper, well, let me tell you, it was not. It was really hot. I am probably the only person in the world who didn't know that, so go ahead laugh at me, it's okay. But I won't be making that mistake twice. My hubs liked them though. So no harm no foul. I really liked the salt and pepper, to be honest I couldn't taste the garlic powder (perhaps I just burnt all my taste buds off), so I would suggest against that. But salt and pepper was really good. They were light, crunchy and I was sad when they were gone. I mean it. I never thought I'd say I wish I had more spinach anything. So there you go, if you have any left over spinach you need to use up, bake it in the oven, and make some chips out of it. I'm going to make some tomorrow night and try it with salsa. We didn't even get that far yesterday.

Now for how to do this. You can follow the link I listed above, which is essentially what I did, but I will include pictures below too.

I cleaned and dried the spinach. I drizzled about 1/2 tablespoon over it and mixed it with my hands. It spread really easily. Honestly, use less then you think you need. You can always add more. 


I think laid them out over a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. The parchment paper worked well for me. Wax paper would probably work too. I then sprinkled the seasonings on top. You can do this to your hearts content.




Bake at 250 degrees for about 20 minutes or so. The blog I posted earlier said to check on them frequently after 15 minutes, and that hers took about 30. My oven is kind of quick, so I think that she gave good advice. 





No comments:

Post a Comment