Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sharing Time October 2012 Week 2: We Receive Ordinances of Salvation Through the Priesthood

Sorry this is so late getting posted. Things have been crazy at home with my son lately. There has been a pretty gross bug going around and it's required a good bit of my time to deal with him. Luckily my husband and I seem to not have gotten it. :)

This week my stake has Stake Conference. So we won't be doing this sharing time, but I still thought I would post a few ideas and thoughts for this week.

The church's outline this week reads:

IDENTIFY THE DOCTRINE (seeing an object lesson): Have one child hold an opened umbrella. Let a few children stand under it. Compare the umbrella to the priesthood. Point out that if it were raining, all the children under the umbrella would receive the blessing of staying dry, not just the one holding it. Similarly, God has provided, through His priesthood, a way for all His children to be blessed. Through the priesthood we receive the ordinances of salvation that allow us to return and live with God again.

ENCOURAGE UNDERSTANDING (putting together puzzles): Write each of the following on a separate piece of paper: baptism, confirmation, priesthood ordination (for men), temple endowment, and temple sealing. Cut up each piece of paper into a puzzle. Briefly explain to the children what an ordinance is (a sacred ceremony or act that has spiritual meanings), and tell the children that some priesthood ordinances are required for us to return and live with Heavenly Father. Draw five steps on the board, and place a picture of Jesus Christ on the top step. Divide the children into five groups and give each group one of the puzzles you made. Ask them to assemble their puzzle and then share what they know about the ordinance with the rest of the Primary. Have the groups post their assembled puzzles in proper order on the steps on the board.


Now for my own thoughts. I looooove the idea of using an umbrella in the "Identifying Doctrine" part. I think it is a really cute and easy to understand way to illustrate how the priesthood blesses everyone, not just those who carry it. If I were doing this sharing time this week, I would absolutely want to do something with that. Buuuuut I don't have an umbrella, I know I'm weird. The rain has just never bothered me enough to get one. So for all of us weirdo's out there without an umbrella, what to do? Use a poster board.  You could make a big one with a poster board (less than a dollar), color it and make it fun. You can clip it up on the chalkboard and have really kids stand "underneath" it, or you could just print out some paper families. 

I created a little coloring page for you to use if you'd like. I thought it'd be neat for the kids to draw pictures of their families, friends, or just be creative under the umbrella. As if the umbrella is "protecting" them from the rain. They could even color in rain too. I think it's a cute reminder of the lesson today, plus they get to use some of their creativity. You can find the coloring page here. Again, let me know if you have any issues with this. I am still new to it.

Here is a link to Sofia's Primary Ideas. She has a really cute idea for this week that is definitely worth checking out too.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments: