Monday, September 24, 2012

Sharing Time September 2012 Week 5 Ideas

This month we have five Sundays, which gives us a fun opportunity to be creative. I love how the church organizes things for us every week, and makes it so simple to do sharing time, but sometimes it is really fun to be able to be creative and think outside the box. When I was thinking about what would be fun to do this week there were a lot of possibilities.

1. Practice for your Primary Program if you have that coming up. I know many wards and branches have already had theres, but if you haven't, this may be a good time to do it. This is kind of neat because you won't have to skip another lesson to do this. It's kind of a free week.

2. Do a scripture chase. You could do the classic one with the senior primary and a younger version with the junior. One idea I had to make this a little easier for younger kids was to tell them part of a story and they can kind of finish up or say who the story was about. You could get pictures from the library and use those. I liked this because it helps the children get more familiar with their scripture stories before they can read. It's a nice foundation to build upon when they're older. To make this even more fun you could involve snack size candy or a homemade treat.

3. Keep on subject with the 10 Commandments. You could play a game to get the children to understand them better/memorize them. I have a punch out board I made for a sharing time a while ago, you could have scenerios in each one and have the children match it to the commandments. You could have something along the lines of "Your mom told you to clean up your bedroom. You chose to go outside and play soccer." This would be breaking the commandment of Honor thy father and mother. You could have some in there that follow the commandments. My kids really love the punch out box, you could put anything in there and they would think it's the coolest thing ever. I don't have a tutorial of mine, but this is very close to mine. I don't have that nifty circle cutting tool, so I used an exacto blade and cut squares, it was easier then trying circles.

4. Play a General Conference game. A few months ago I did a Sharing Time on the First Presidency and Apostles. We played a little bit of a matching game with them. One thing I liked about this is I found out some fun interesting facts about a few different ones and read them to the kids. I then would read out some of the fun facts and have them match who it was. We had a neat experience because Dieter F. Uchtdorf was a pilot, and we have a child who is interested in doing that for a career. So it was neat to see that child draw a connection to him. I think it helps to view them as real people with families and hobbies, it makes them more relatable to us. To me, this is so important for our children. The more they can connect and relate to a speaker, the more they will listen and trust what they have to say.

5. The next idea I had was to do October 2012 week 1, since we will have general conference that week. You can find some thoughts from me here. And you can find the outline from the church for this week here.

6. Movie and snacks. This is a really simple, really fun thing for the kids to get to do. You could bring in a couple big blankets, push the chairs to the wall, pop some popcorn and enjoy a movie together. My family has The Living Scriptures, The Prodigal Son. We watched this a few weeks ago for FHE, and it was so cute. My son was a little to young to appreciate it, but I think it's perfect for the primary aged kids. The great thing is they have so many different movies that you can find one to fit whatever lesson you want to teach. You do have to pay for these, but chances are if you don't have some, someone else in your branch/ward will. Ask teachers, councelors, or other moms. If you can't find any, the church library always has some fun movies to watch.

I hope you guys were able to find something fun to do this week and think outside the box. Let me know what you guys end up doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment