Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Angry Birds Toss Game

I work with the children aged 3-11 at my church, and for Labor Day we had a big party for everyone. Myself and the two other ladies I work closely with decided we wanted to have a lot of fun activities for the kids. We had a moon bounce there for the kids but we also wanted a couple other activities to try and break up the crowds. So, naturally, I got on Pinterest and started looking. I love when I can find a way to justify my Pinterest addiction. ;) Anyways, I found a few ideas for the Angry Birds Toss game. All of the ones I've found do not link back to a blog to show you how to do it. It's fairly simple, but I figured I would try and do a walk through to answer any kind of questions, plus I did mine a bit differently, of course. 




First I used empty Ravioli cans. I washed them out and peeled the wrapper off. I used construction paper instead of paint, because I chose to do this at about 1:00AM (one of the many joys of motherhood, nothing is done on your ideal schedule, ha!) and I didn't have any paint that would work. So I measured how tall it needed to be and I used my paper cut to make it that tall. When I peeled the label off the can it had a bit of a sticky residue, I chose to use this to my advantage. I stuck the end of the construction paper on it, and painted Mod Podge around the can one little bit at a time. Once I painted the Mod Podge on there, I would pull the construction paper tightly against the can. I did the the whole way around the can and trimmed the excess off with a scissors. I did overlap them a little bit, but you don't have to.



Once this was done a cut the eyes out placed them on with Mod Podge. I just used a sharpie for the pupil. I used a lighter green for the nose. I wanted that to overlap the eyes a bit, which is why I chose to do the eyes first. Then for the mouth I just kind of faked it. I tried to do them all differently. I would suggest if you are going to do one with teeth to glue the teeth on the back of the nose and then apply the nose. The mustache I would suggest to do in a similar fashion. All the black on them I used the sharpie for. 




For the ball I wanted to use a plain red one and draw a face on it, since the red bird seems to be the most famous. But you would not believe how hard it is to find a plain red ball! I ended up with a yellow one on clearance at Walmart for about .75. I was lucky that the characters in this game are really easy to draw, because I am certainly not an artist!


When I brought it to the activity I was nervous about how they would react, after all, I was competing with a moon bounce. But I think the kids really liked it, I'm not saying the kids chose this over the moon bounce, because really, I didn't expect that. But they did have fun while they were taking a break from bouncing, or while we were giving the littler kids a turn. They enjoyed trying to knock them over and rearranging them differently, putting it closer to the edge or further away. I found that the little kids liked it and the older ones around 9 or 10 did also. I was really happy with how it turned out, and it wasn't hard to make. 

Until next time,

BBNO

No comments:

Post a Comment