Wednesday, September 12, 2012

5 Tips For Gifts For a New Mom

I recently saw a list of things you could do to help a new mom. I thought some of the things on the list were good, but I thought I could do better, so here I am. ;) 



1. Offer to help clean/do dishes/start a load of laundry/ vacuum/whatever. She may not take you up on your offer, but she'll always remember that you did offer. And if she does, great! That is what new mom's need, an extra set of hands. Don't offer to hold the baby so she can do these things (you wouldn't believe how many times I had people offer that to me), because, lets get real, she WANTS to hold her baby. She doesn't want to do the dishes. Letting her enjoy her time with her baby and not worry about other things, that is a huge help.

2. Bring in a dinner. In my experience, don't say "Would you like me to bring you a dinner?" Say "When can I bring you a dinner?" And make a lot. The first few weeks after having a baby can be a blur. If you make more, she can have left overs. Therefore, you're giving her dinner and lunch the next day.

3. If you are not the best cook and you'd rather just buy something, get things to put on the end table while their nursing/bottle feeding the baby. For new mom's, it's hard to find time to grab snacks or something to read while they're sitting. Try and grab snacks that are on the go, and healthy. But it doesn't hurt to add a few junk foods in there too. ;) Crackers, bottles of water (Nursing moms get really thirsty!), beef jerky, granola bars, or trail mix. Also, anything like face wipes (I can't tell you how many nights I didn't get to wash my face), new bodywash that smells great, nice lotion, or anything else that is going to help her feel great. It doesn't all have to be for the baby ;)

4. If you want to buy baby clothes, go for it. But try and buy in bigger sizes, and give gift receipts. I got lots of duplicates and lots of little clothes. My son barely got to wear a lot of his 0-3 month sizes. It doesn't hurt to ask what she has either. Sometimes everyone thinks of bigger sizes and no one thinks of smaller.  For me, it was really hard to see my son go from size to size, but having an adorable outfit I was excited to put him in helped.

Sometimes people already have all the clothes they need. A friend of mine just had her sixth child, yes, sixth. But it was only her second daughter. So she got all these adorable things with her first and she was excited to use them again (Luckily they were the same season.). So I got her head bands, tights, sunglasses, that sort of thing. Also, diaper and wipes are awesome. I know they seem boring, but it's a favorite of parents.

5. Think outside the color box. If you are buying headbands, bowties, outfits or socks, think outside of pink and blue. You see sooo much pink and blue (especially with your first), you get tired of it. They make so many adorable outfits, accessories, and blankets in other colors, you still have awesome options.


Hopefully this helps with the next baby you have coming along. :)

Until next time,

BBNO

No comments:

Post a Comment