Friday, February 15, 2013

Perfect Sugar Cookies

I'm not a huge fan of sugar cookies in general, but this recipe I'm about to unleash, is amazing. It bakes soft, moist cookies that pair perfectly with vanilla icing. These are so good that when I see another recipe on Pinterest, I'm not even tempted to look at it, let alone try it. I make these cookies every Christmas Eve for Santa (and he leaves us some pretty awesome presents, because of the cookies I'm sure ;)), and every Valentines Day. Growing up, my mom would bake each of her seven children and my dad a giant sugar cookie using this recipe. She would decorate them each individually with our names on it. It's kind of a big deal in my family. So naturally, when I got married I wanted to pass on this to my husband and children. My husband doesn't like Vanilla frosting, or food dye (he's kind of weird, he swears he can taste it), so I haven't been able to really get creative with these until recently. So here is what I did this year. Here is how you make them. 

Perfect Sugar Cookies
3 egg yolks 
1 cup shortening 
1 cup sour cream 
2 cups sugar 
1 tsp nutmeg 
1 tsp baking powder 
1 tsp baking soda 
a pinch salt 
4 cups flour 

Cream the egg yolks, sour cream, and shortening together. Add sugar to the creamed mixture. In a separate bowl wisk the remaining ingredients together. Slowly add to the creamed mixture.Place in the refrigerator to chill before rolling out. Bake at 350 degrees about 10 minutes but check frequently as my oven cooks things oddly. 

If you want to do the giant cookie like we do I recommend rolling the dough out on your cookie sheet and cutting it out on the cookie sheet. Because of this I also recommend using a cookie sheet without edges. If you don't have one I saw one at Walmart today for $4.96. Seriously, its worth it. Buy a few things generic to compensate if you have to but it will make your life so much easier. I just use a butter knife and lightly trace before actually cutting.

 {For the record, this is not the giant cookie. My husband wanted a smaller one because he's trying to eat less sweets. I figure since it was his request I would do it. My son and I's cookies are larger then our heads. They take up the whole cookie sheet :)}
  


No comments:

Post a Comment