Wednesday, February 27, 2013

March 2013 week 1 sharing time: Jesus Christ taught the gospel and set an example for us.

I am so excited for this week!! I really love the outline the church has made for us to use, so I'm going to tweak it some, but stick to the main points. It uses lots of scriptures, focuses on Christ, I love it! 

Okay for the beginning I love the idea of starting with the "Do As I Am Doing." The biggest thing I would stick to is not letting the kids pick anything. If your kids are anything like mine, they'll choose jump and spin and hop on one foot, and good luck getting their attention back after that. So what I'm going to do is make some flash cards ideas from them to choose from. They'll be fun, just not so fun that I'll never be able to get their attention again. 

After this I'm going to tell them that just like that child set the example for us on what action to do during the song, Christ set the example for us on earth. At this point I'm going to introduce our activity. You break the kids into four groups. Each group is going to get an envelope with puzzle pieces inside. I've attached the puzzle printables below. If you have young kids that can't read in a group, have the teacher help. 

On each puzzle is a scripture to look up and an activity or task to go along with the scripture. For prayer (3 Nephi 18:19) they are going to think of a time when prayer has helped them. If they can't remember a time, it could be a story that was told in primary or they read. If you don't have a lot of kids you could have them share multiple stories. For baptism (3 Nephi 11:37) they will find a story in the scriptures where they followed Christ's example and got baptized. For the picture of Christ with the children (John 13:34-35) I will have them perform a skit showing a time we can follow Christ's example by loving one another. For the picture of Christ teaching (Mark 16:15) they will find Give each group enough time to complete their own activity. When their all done have them present to the rest of the primary children. As each group presents hold up the picture that corresponds to that scripture. After they are done emphasize that just like many of the stories they shared today, Christ set the example for us in all of these things. If you have time you can even share a couple stories from Christ's life that would really drive this story home. To me, the Garden of Gethsemane is the one that stands out the most for an example of prayer.

Close with your testimony of Christ and his example he set for us.

These links are for the puzzles I've created. I made the lines you cut along yellow.

Here is the puzzle for John 13 

Here is the puzzle for 3 Nephi 18:19

Here is the puzzle for 3 Nephi 11:37

Here is the puzzle for Mark 16:15

10 comments:

  1. Here is a link to adorable Do As I'm Doing Action cards that you can download and print in color. http://susanfitchdesign.blogspot.com/2012/09/do-as-im-doing-action-cards.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are REALLY cute! I'm going to use them. Thanks for the share!

      Delete
    2. I'm using them too. I put them into a jar and modpodged the label around the outside. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I do like your changes. Although I try not to "break into groups" too often as this can be quite challenging for some teachers. I've noticed an overall moan from the teachers, especially the younger ones and rolling of eyes. Unfortunate but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like splitting into groups. I printed off your puzzles and am panning on using them tomorrow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the same person that couldn't open the links on the february links. I don't know what my problem is. I love your puzzle idea and really want to use them. In my last comment (in Feb.) you said you could email the link to me. Would you still be willing to do that for these puzzle links? If not, it's fine...and thank you so much if you can. My email is lenicepaulsen@comast.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lenicepaulsen@comcast.net

      I left out the second "c" on comcast.

      Delete
    2. I can definitely do that. I am on my way home from my parents house right now and will be home in about two hours. I will email them when I get home, I hope that'll give you enough time.

      Delete
  5. Love the puzzles, great idea. I am using them for senior primary. Thanks so much for sharing your gifts and talents

    ReplyDelete