Thursday, June 20, 2013

When I repent, I can be forgiven

Repentance. Such a great thing to teach children. It's such a beautiful apect of the gospel.
 
I like the idea of starting with the words cut out individually and piecing them together in to make the sentence "When I repent, I can be forgiven." (This is in the outline provided by the church.) If you didn't want to place them in envelopes you could stick them under random chairs and have them check. This is an immediate attention-getter, and I like it for that reason.
 
I like the story of the Prodigal Son. I think this is a good way to go, but I also really like the story of Alma the Younger. This came to my mind almost immediately when I was thinking this week over. I found an old friend article that tells the story for anyone who doesn't like summarizing themselves, you can find that HERE. I found a page on Sugardoodle (seriously, I love that site!) that is dedicated to this story. It has way too much to list but in short, it has links to clipart, lesson helps and a lot more that involve this story.  You can find all of that good stuff HERE.
 
This is the part I was really excited about. For this week I want to do a object lesson. Show everyone a penny that is clean and new looking. Tell them that this is them when they are born. Throughout their lives they make mistakes, they sin. If we don't repent we can't stay clean. Show them an old penny that is dirty. Pour some lemon juice into a clear glass and put the penny in. According to THIS site (I wanted to try this out before posting but haven't had the chance. It may be a good idea to that beforehand, haha), it will just wipe clean (You may have to soak it). Tell them that sin is like the dirt on the coin, and the repentance process is like the lemon juice. If we repent after we sin, we can be clean and pure like when we're babies (or after baptism). I thought the example of babies would be more universal because there are lots of kids in my primary who aren't 8 yet and therefore haven't been baptized.

Give each child a clean penny to take home to remind them of how they can repent and stay clean.

**Variations** Because I haven't tried this experiment yet, I am not sure how long it takes to soak the penny in the lemon juice to get it clean. If you do this at home first and it takes longer then 30 seconds or so, you may want to drop some dirty pennies in there before you do sharing time so they have time to soak and get clean. You can always drop a dirty one in and just pull a clean one out. I am going to have to test this to see if it works.

9 comments:

  1. I didn't have any lemon juice so I put some vinegar and salt in a glass. The penny was like brand new after a few seconds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read that and had intended on doing posting that idea originally but couldn't find the original link to link it back up to. So happy you posted this!

      Delete
    2. how much vinegar & salt did you use?

      Delete
    3. We did this for a homeschooling science class a couple of weeks ago (not for sharing time, but it was tons of fun!). You need only a teaspoon or so of salt and 1/4 cup of vinegar. Works almost instantly. My kids loved it! I am going to use this for ST tomorrow since we used our "5th Sunday" on Father's Day. Great example.

      Delete
  2. If not then coke does it also...but it takes a while so throw in baking soda with lemon juice.

    I actually got a second hand sunday shirt and have a child draw a bad situation. Then I put a mark on the shirt (the quilting pens at fabric store..make sure not a too dark color). Then when we repent its like being baptized...and spray bottle with water...makes it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea! I wondered about coke too. It's crazy all the uses for it. :/

      Delete
  3. I have done this, but have just squirted ketchup in my hand and rubbed the penny around in it and then wiped it out with a wet wipe. It works really well. And I also explain that we have to really let the repentance process work and work to be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had that thought that sometimes we may have to scrub the penny, but it can still be cleaned. I love all the directions you can go with it. Thanks for your thoughts!

      Delete
  4. using disappearing ink really gets this message across well & the kids love it!

    ReplyDelete