Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mother's Day: Awesome or Hallmark?

I've always appreciated Mother's Day, you would be hardpressed to find someone who loves and is as close to their mother as I am. That hasn't stopped me from viewing Mother's Day as many view Valentine's Day, a commercial holiday. That doesnt mean I didn't celebrate Valentines Day or Mothers Day, absolutely not! But I maybe haven't been as enthusiastic about them I guess you could say. I became a mother  2 years and 3 months ago. My first mother's day was nice, but to be honest, my husband kind of forgot about it until the last minute. We didn't do much, I can't even remember what to be honest. Frankly, I hadn't felt like I'd earned it. Afterall, I'd only been a mom for a few months. My second Mothers Day was wrought with drama and even though all ended well, it was a little stressful. My husband did take me to a Japanese steakhouse by us, so that was nice. This year was awesome, I am now a believer in Mothers Day.
 
It started by attending church with my family. We had three awesome speakers who spoke on the importance of motherhood. How instead of it being something to sneer at and look down upon, it's something to glorify and take pride in. The speakers left me so emotional, and I wasn't the only one. I then received a plant from the Young Men in our branch and a cupcake from the Relief Society (seriously, does it get better then a cupcake??). I helped our primary aged kids to make bracelets and cards for their mom's. All of this is nice, but it isn't what really made me feel differently. It was seeing my two year old walk up to me with a butterfly craft he made in Nursery. Seeing this little child present my first ever mother's day present to me, made me realize this day isn't for the moms. Its for the ones that us moms care about. Sure, I got roses, chocolates, bullets (does my husband know the way to a woman's heart or what!), and the most amazing card. But more importantly it was an opportunity for my son to learn to respect and love women. It was an opportunity for my husband to thank me for the work I do, and an opportunity to call his mother and tell her he loves her. It was an opportunity for me to reflect on my own mother and what really made her the best mom ever. It gave me a chance to reflect my own parenting and decide what changes should be made.
 
So to all the moms who say they maybe dont deserve a mothers day because they've only been a mom for a few months, or maybe you think it's a "hallmark holiday?" To you I say, so what? I was there once, but again, so what? So maybe people are going out and spending a ton of money on their mothers. Is that a bad thing? Certainly there are worse things to spend it on. And that doesn't mean you have to. Call your mom or mother figure. Tell her you love her. Say thanks. That's all it is about. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment