Monday, August 13, 2012

Spray Painting a Picture Frame

I love to yard sale. I love the thrill of finding something fantastic at a cheap price. There's nothing like getting something at a low price, especially when you know you would have paid a lot more for it. This was the case with my splurge a few weeks ago. 

I went out all morning and didn't find anything (it can be very hit or miss). On my way home I decided to spot by a yard sale that was packing up. Because she was getting ready to bring it in, she told me I could have anything there for 50% off. 50% off a yard sale price! Well, when I saw this picture frame there I knew I had to have it. I loved the beautiful detail along the border and the size was a little different than what I already have in my home. Immediately I knew I wanted to change the color though. I'd been eying up this can of spray paint at the store and I thought this would work amazingly with it. I saw a frame that is similar to the finished product at the store for about $15.00. Sometimes yard sales pay off! Even if you have to do a little bit of work to make it yours.


Above is a picture of the picture frame before anything was done. Yes, I left the price tag on, I was pretty impressed with myself! First I took the glass and backing off the frame. I don't have any pictures of this step, but it is pretty simple. 




Above I have a picture of the spray paint I used. I definitely chose to go with the glossy finish. I didn't want to have to do a second coat. I'm kind of a quick, let me finish, kinda gal. In case you can't read the color, it's called "Blue Ocean Breeze" by Krylon. I bought it at Walmart for about 4 dollars or so. 

I brought the frame (without the glass or backing) outside and laid it on top of some newspaper. If you are doing this inside, make sure you use a room that is well ventilated. I didn't want to expose my son to the fumes, which is why I chose to do it outside. It only takes a few minutes for each layer. I started with the back and did some quick light movements over it. You can do several coats, so there is no need to lay it on there thickly. Do it lightly, it dries very quickly and you are able to do the next coat. The first one did not get it all the way. I had to do about 3 coats on each side. 

 After you are finished with the back and it is dry, flip it over and do the front. Make sure you move it around and get all the different angles. You don't want to realize you missed a spot later! But if you do, luckily this process is so simple you can just whip it out and do it again. 

I let it dry completely and then reassembled it. Voila!




I really like the finished product, now I just need to find the perfect picture for my custom frame. The thing I love about this project is it's very simple, and there is lots of paint left for the next project!

Until next time,

BBNO

No comments:

Post a Comment