Tuesday, November 27, 2012

December 2012 Week 1 Sharing Time: Heavenly Father Sent His Son to Earth

Who doesn't love Christmas time? Sure, the stores are insane and we may spend a little too much money, but it really is the best time of the year. It's an excuse to see our extended families, wear ugly sweaters, indulge in delicious yet maybe not-so-good-for-you foods, and experience a little magic with Santa, his elves, and his reindeer. But most importantly, it is a time to focus on Christ. This season celebrates the birth of Christ, the beginning of his life that would touch billions and billions of people. A life that made it possible for all of us to be with our crazy families throughout eternity.

This week in primary we get to talk about the birth of Christ. I get to do sharing time this week, and I'm really thankful. To me, this is a great way to spiritually prepare for the Christmas season that is now upon us.

To start, I will ask everyone who is excited for Christmas. Of course I get a lot of response from this. I will then ask everyone why do we celebrate Christmas? I am sure I will have at least a few shout out the right answer. I will then tell them that today we're going to talk about the story of Jesus Christ's birth. I have two thoughts on this. I have a toy nativity, much like this Fisher-Price Little People Nativity , that I want to bring in to help as a visual. If you don't have one, and would like to get one, that is a really cute one I've been eying up. I already have one, so I feel a little silly buying another one. But they're so cute! Plus, they'd be great for the Nursery ;). Anyways, my thought is, I will ask for a child to tell just one part of the story. Whoever tells that part can come up and act it out with the little nativity. I'm hoping this will keep their interest, encourage involvement, and make it memorable for them. 

Another thought I had was similar to the last. If you don't have a nonbreakable nativity you feel comfortable with them using, and you don't want to buy one, you could get a few volunteers and act it out. You could even break them into groups and have them put on the skit after reading some scriptures. You would need 7 children in each group, if I'm remembering all the major parts correctly. ;) That would give you three wise men, Mary, Joseph, a shepard, and an angel. I would bring in a doll to be baby Jesus. 

If you have time left over I love the idea of singing Christmas songs. We only get four or five weeks out of the year to sing them, so why not make the most of it? I would definitely do Away in a Manger. 

For coloring pages I have a few ideas. 

1. I found this one that has the manger, Mary, Joseph, an angel, shepard, and a wise man in.

2. I also found a color by number nativity page here. 

3. The last one I found is a coloring activity that you make a nativity out of. It has a Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus you can color and cut out and put into the nativity. I like this one, I just wish it had the wise men and shepherds too. 

I hope you found some good ideas here. What are you planning on doing? Have you found a fun printable or hand out? Leave your ideas or tips in the comment section below. They could help someone out! Thanks for stopping by and please remember to "follow" so you can get sharing time helps weekly. :)

2 comments: